Monday 11 June 2012

Extreme Knitting For World Wide Knit in Public Day!

Knitwits Yarns knitwitspenzance.co.uk
















As I'm sure all avid knitters know, we are currently in the midst of the World Wide Knit in Public time of year.  Barbara from Knitcraft in Pool had organised a day at Heartlands - a new regeneration project which, I'll admit, I'd never visited before.  The site is pretty amazing:



















a real blast back to Cornwall's mining heritage (something which many beach-loving visitors forget) which - amazingly - with the rise in metal prices may be about to have a revival:



















I - slightly rashly - offered to bring my giant needles on the mistaken assumption that the weather would be kind in June.  It wasn't!  Not to be daunted, Barbara organised a stage for me and my unfeasibly large appendages and, once I'd untangled the knot of all knots we were off!:















OK - so I don't usually let my knitting get into this kind of mess!  The last time this piece was worked on was on stage in Liverpool at Britain's Got Talent (which I'd been invited on to) and where I was unceremoniously booed off the stage (quite possibly the most humiliating experience of my life!).  Not surprisingly, after that debacle we'd bunged the piece and the 50 balls of wool back in the box and gone home.  Yesterday, I untangled it all:















and then I knit a row:



















For those of you who haven't seen the needles in the shop - they're quite big!:



















3.5m long to be precise and they weigh about 7kg each, which makes knitting quite slow - especially with all the chatting that was going on as well!:















As you can see the piece is quite big too!  It's knitting in Help for Heroes colours and we had a donation bucket and the good people of west Cornwall were very kind with their donations - so thanks to one and all.


I only managed a row - but it was enough!:















and what was really, really nice was that no one booed me!! (and the untangled wool looks great!)

No comments:

Post a Comment